Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Thanksgiving in July


I love Autumn!  Love it.  There are so many wonderful things about it:  crisp evenings, Halloween, pumpkin patches, sweater weather (I'm a sweater junkie), flannel pj's, apple cider.  Oh heavens, I could go on!  Keep your Summer, I'll take Fall.  

Hang on.

Okay, now that I'm sitting on my couch in flannel and drinking some apple cider, I feel 3,000,000 times better.  Anyway, every once in a while, Hubs brings home a turkey from work.  At this point I don't really ask questions anymore, I just start meal planning.  

Normally I am not big on turkey.  I have actually been known to skip it on several Thanksgivings.  It's usually kind of dry, kind of bland, kind of turkeyish.  I've tried several different recipes, including the no longer 'safe' route of slow roasting it, but still get a papery-dry meat log.  Anyway I found a recipe for the perfect roast turkey, and figured I'd give it a shot.

Guys...do this.  Every time.

Slather it in butter!  Hubs looooves butter.  I had to send him a pic of this, it uses a whole stick!

I seasoned mine pretty heavily with the mindset that most of the seasonings would slide off with the melting butter.  I used salt, pepper, and seasoning salt.

This is normal box stuffing, but it was still delish.  Basically all you do is put a few cups of turkey/chicken broth in the bottom of the pan, and baste it in the juices ever 30 minutes.  Put a tin foil tent on it for the first hour and a half. (I ended up having to put mine back on as the turkey was getting extra crispy)

After the first 30 minutes.

After the last 30 minutes.

This was the juiciest, tastiest turkey I've ever had!  I served it with a butternut gorgonzola casserole, stuffing, and hey, remember that orange failberry jam?  Makes an intriguing substitution for cranberry sauce.  Anyway I highly suggest giving this a shot come November (or before)!

No comments:

Post a Comment