Sunday, March 23, 2014

Reupholstering? Me???

When someone says "DIY" I die a little inside.  Combine my impatience for doing things the correct (and often lengthy) way with my illusions of grandeur, and then slap it across the face with the reality of what actually happens when I do try to Do It Myself, and you have a giant glue and spray paint covered mess.  

For one thing, I get so irritated with this huge wave of diy zeal that has come about thanks to the pinthing.  If you glue a bunch of plastic spoons together and spray paint them red, I have a real newsflash for you as to what you're going to end up with.  A bunch of spray painted plastic spoons.  And you'll never get me to believe, dream, see, or visualize otherwise.  (I am for real, this is a thing.)

That being said, some people can do the damned thing.  I salute you, master of the glue gun, puffy paint aficionado, and sharpie sherpa.  (Okay, so that last one didn't make sense.  But it just works too well.)  And if you can do it, you go on with your bad self.  I only hate you juuuuuuuust a little inside.

But I digress. Hubs brought home some chairs from a storage shed months ago, thinking we could use them on the porch for extra seating.  They have life, but not so much in the way of looks.  So I figured I'd go ahead and try my hand at fixing them up.



Straight out of your favorite Sunday school room.





I stripped everything off of this one, which I immediately recognized as a mistake.  The cushion is in good shape, and I am in no way skilled enough to even think about replacing that stuff.  I plan to take off the top layer of upholstery and replace it with this incredible yellow and orange flame stitch fabric that I found at the local Re-store.  And spray paint the wood white.

So we'll just have to see how it goes!  In the mean time, I'm gonna stick to my strong suit, which is more in the MTSY* department.  


*The Make That Shizz Yourself movement was founded in March of 2014 and refers mainly to food.  It also includes rethinking the products you bring into your home, and finding natural substitutes if available.  So far it has one member.

No comments:

Post a Comment