Friday, March 21, 2014

Remix-ican

There's something about cleaning out the fridge that is really disheartening.  Disposing of all of that food that never got utilized makes me feel like I did something seriously wrong.  Sometimes I think maybe I should just go ahead and yank a 20 spot out of my pocket and toss it in the garbage instead.  But it happens.  You have a little bit of leftover this or that, three tortillas left from tacos the other night, maybe some chicken.  Two pieces of bacon.  Not enough of anything to really do much with.

Personally, this is when I find myself discovering new recipes.  Sometimes I change the world with said  discoveries.  Sometimes I burn my wallet in the front yard.  Try, try again, right?

As for the tupperware container of tuna casserole that got left in the back of the fridge and has turned into penicillin, I have no real solution for that.

However, recently I struck gold.  Not sure if I've mentioned that we are Mexican foodies, but there is a recurring supply of cilantro, tortillas, and avocados in our fridge.  One day I noticed that there was just a little bit of every thing, and I was just NOT going to the store.  So I decided to do an umpteen layer dip.  But healthier.  Kind of, anyway.

After we devoured half of it.

Boo had decided a few days before that we absolutely needed avocados.  He was pretty adamant about it, so I figured some guac could be added to the menu.

Okay so I needed some refried beans.  Which are super duper easy to make.  You need lard or bacon grease, though.  Warm some up in a skillet and throw in a can of drained and rinsed beans.  I did black beans, but kidney or canillini beans would work too.

Let 'em cook till they warm up a smidge, then start to mash.

Add a pinch of salt.  Fin!

Press it into the bottom of a casserole dish.

Sprinkle with quesos!


Shred some grilled chicken.  

  

Sprinkle with bacon...

Smother in guacamole

Toss on some pico (don't you dare think of putting salsa from the jar on this baby!  Okay, you can, but consider trying the pico first.)

Smother in cheese and stick in a 350 oven for a bit.  Till the cheese melts, about 5-10 minutes.

Add some sour cream and enjoy!  I took those few leftover tortillas we had and turned them into chips. You just slice them into whatever size you want (pizza cutters make this a breeze), lightly coat with cooking spray and salt if desired, and bake for 5ish minutes at 350.  They make for extra sturdy chips.  We made a meal (okay, two) out of it.  And it has texture, not just a bunch of cold mush.  Mmmm!




No comments:

Post a Comment